This was the 2018 Deadly Exposure industry event lineup. Stay tuned for more information about Deadly Exposure 2019!
THE DEADLY EXPOSURE FILM INDUSTRY MARKET
(November 22 - 25, 2018)
With support from Ontario Creates, Telefilm Canada and the Independent Production Fund, we are excited to announce the re-branding and expansion of the film industry side of BITS - Deadly Exposure. The Deadly Exposure Film Industry Market consists of an expanded program of 5 industry panels, exclusive industry networking events, and our new power round table event with distributors, sales agents and funders.
Thursday, November 22nd
(Panel and Cocktail will be held at The Monarch Tavern)
☠ 3:00 pm - Deadly Exposure VIP EXCLUSIVE: POWER NETWORKING ROUNDTABLE
BITS invites you to our first annual power networking event, presented by Ontario Creates. Participants will have the opportunity to meet with some of Canada’s industry leaders to discuss their experience in the fields of financing, sales, and distribution.
• Telefilm Canada / Dan Lyon, Regional Feature Film Executive - Ontario and Nunavut Region
• Vortex Words + Pictures / Susan Curran, VP of Corporate Development & Courtney McAllister, Head of Development
• IndieCan Entertainment / Avi Federgreen, President
• Unobstructed View / Kerry Kupecz, VP Distribution and Marketing
• XYZ / Todd Brown, Head of International Acquisitions
• Syndicado / Greg Rubidge, President & Founder
• CBC / Melanie Nepinak Hadley, Executive In Charge of Production, Drama, CBC Scripted Content, English Services & Paige Murray, Development Manager, Comedy and Drama, Canadian Reflections Programmer
☠ 6:00 pm - Deadly Exposure VIP EXCLUSIVE: OPENING NIGHT INDUSTRY COCKTAIL
BITS kicks off the celebration with a mix and mingle of filmmakers, industry insiders and partners in the Canadian horror family.
Friday, November 23rd
(Panels and Cocktail will be held at The Monarch Tavern)
12:00 pm - Industry Panel 1: DIVERSITY IN GENRE FILM (moderated by Carolyn Mauricette)
With the rise of films like Girl’s Trip, Black Panther, and Get Out both within the fan base and the box office, it is hard to deny that main characters of colour are wanted and needed by fans and filmgoers everywhere, especially in genre film. While it seems fresh, representation of diversity has been a part of genre film in some form or another from Blaxploitation films to traditional Japanese ghost stories. Why, then, is it so difficult to get these films with protagonists of colour made without stereotypes or tokenism, especially in North America? Calling on professionals of colour in the film and television industry, this panel will take a look at what barriers creators and actors of colour and the LGTBQ community encounter and what steps can be taken to start the process of making lack of representation in the film industry a thing of the past.
• Olunike Adeliyi / Actress (Flashpoint / A Christmas Horror Story / Saw 3D / Darken)
• Mariam Bastani / Writer and Filmmaker
• Larica Perera / Director, writer and producer (Allie & Lara Make a Horror Movie / Tik Tik)
• Rodney V. Smith / Director, writer and producer (Out of Time)
1:30 pm - Industry Panel 2: NAVIGATING CANADIAN TAX CREDITS (moderated by Kelly Payne, Ontario Creates)
Canada has some of the best film tax credits in the world, but navigating the system can be confusing for indie filmmakers. The experts on this panel are here to answer all of your tax-related questions to help you get the biggest bang for your buck in funding your indie film in Canada.
• Ontario Creates / Anna Newallo, Tax Credit Business Officer
• Vortex Words + Pictures / Owen Kelly - Head of Sales
• 775 Media Corp / Michael Peterson Producer & Director
3:00 pm - Industry Panel 3: MEET THE DISTRIBUTORS (moderated by Kirk Haviland)
We chat with some of Canada’s leading genre film distributors. They’re here to talk about what’s new, trends in the industry, and answer all of our sales and distribution-related questions.
• Breakthrough Entertainment / Craig McGillivary, Vice President, Distribution
• Double Dutch International / Keshia Saldanha, Acquisitions & Festivals Coordinator
• Raven Banner / Andrew Hunt, Managing Partner
• Avi Federgreen / IndieCan Entertainment
☠ 4:30 pm - INDUSTRY COCKTAIL RECEPTION
After a long day of getting your learn on, it’s time to relax and have a drink with filmmakers, BITS alumni, sponsors, funders, industry and panel participants, special guests and friends.
Saturday, November 24th
(Panel will be held at The Super Wonder Gallery)
12:00 pm - Industry Panel 4: GRAVESITE CHATS (moderated by Kirk Haviland)
Join us for an in-depth discussion with one of Canada’s leading filmmakers to discuss their journey, lessons learned along the way, and get an exclusive sneak peek at upcoming projects.
Director Vincenzo Natali and Producer Steven Hoban give us an exclusive chat about the highly anticipated feature IN THE TALL GRASS based on the novella written by Stephen King and his son Joe Hill.
Vincenzo Natali is one of Canada’s most prominent directors working in the realm of science fiction and horror. His first breakout feature and cult-classic, Cube, became a worldwide success breaking international box office records for a Canadian Film. He then went on to direct the spy-fi thriller, Cypher, and the existential comedy, Nothing. His next major feature, Splice, was the highest grossing English-language Canadian film of 2010. Vincenzo then began directing television, lending his talents to critically-acclaimed series Hannibal, Orphan Black, American Gods, and Westworld. After completing a pilot for the reboot of Tremors (2018) with Kevin Bacon, Vincenzo returned to his feature film roots with In the Tall Grass (2019), based on the Joe Hill and Stephen King novella. All of Natali’s film and television work is marked by his interest in using genre to explore the essential dilemmas of the human condition.
Steven Hoban is the founder of Toronto-based production company Copperheart Entertainment. He has produced the Academy Award®-winning animated short, Ryan, the world’s first IMAX 3D-animated film, Cyberworld, and numerous feature films including the cult feature film trilogy Ginger Snaps, and the Vincenzo Natali-directed Splice. Hoban also co-directed A Christmas Horror Story. Hoban most recently produced Vincenzo Natali’s adaptation of Stephen King and Joe Hill’s In the Tall Grass for Netflix and is currently in development on a number of film and television projects with various partners including Warner Bros, Amazon Studios, Skydance Television, Gaumont Television and A+E Studios.
Sunday, November 25th
(Panel will be held at The Super Wonder Gallery)
12:00 pm - Industry Panel 5: WEB SERIES - CANADA'S NEW CINEMATIC FRONTIER (moderated by RX Zammit) *Presented by IPF
No longer tied to traditional broadcasters, the internet is increasingly the place to find the hottest and most innovative creative content. We chat with industry leaders at the forefront of this transition to chat about the platforms, business models, and finding your audience on the world wide web.
• Independent Producers Fund (IPF) / Carly McGowan, Manager
• Independent Web Creators of Canada (IWCC) / Lauren Evans, President
• Shaftesbury Films / Jay Bennett, SVP, Creative & Innovation (Carmilla / Darken)